Well, not to put too fine a line on it, but the edits are done (is there an echo in here somewhere?).
I expected this to be a somewhat long, drawn out process, which I dreaded because I’m also in the middle of finals, but it turned out to be an easy job. According to my editor, that’s because I’m a good writer. I’ll take his word for it, since I respect his opinion. Bottom line for me is, I write. I do it mostly to entertain myself—and to get some sleep at night. Otherwise, the stories keep me awake.
Anyway, there were no major plot changes to make. Pretty much everything had to do with typos of one sort or another (and we know us writers never do that!). He did add the idea of my cops getting some information from a CI (that’s confidential informant for your non-crime people out there) rather than arriving at it all via brilliant deduction. In a way, I wasn’t sure about this change. I mean, I liked having one of my cops make brilliant deductions. The writing I did for the scenes with cops was heavily influenced by Michael Connelly, and Harry Bosch does some pretty amazing deductions during his investigations. But, if you look at it closely, he makes these deductions based on information he’s gathered. He doesn’t make them up out of thin air, which was more or less what my cop was doing when I revisited the scene.
So that’s it. I think it’s off to the printer now for galleys, or will be soon. I realize that’s not much to say for this part of the process, but I don’t think you want a play-by-play of me editing.
I’ll let you know what happens next…though a big part of that, now that the semester is over, will be working on my current novel in progress.